03 March, 2007

Vices

I like to think that I am an educated woman. I like to think that I am well read and aware. I do have reasons to think this - I read the quality papers, I grow my own hair, my nails aren't "gelled". I buy quality not labels (well except for le creseut, but I've blogged about that obsession enough) I don't have a tattoo. When I visit a city I go to the art galleries and museums. I watch foreign language films. My favourite artist is Egon Schiele.
However I do have a dark side-
I love Nao/lladro figurines - i know they can be twee( can be...) but i really like them. I have ever since my Mum bought one when I was about 12. I have two pieces that have pride of place in my living room which my friends have never commented on.
I am enthralled by the Masked Magician.
I'm gutted Rosemary and Thyme have been cancelled.
I say "afters" "living room" "loo" "settee" "dinner" for the evening meal, "pardon" "serviette".
I'm a sucker for diamonds.
If I had had children I fancied the names Bailey and Brogan (Steve didn't - he asked me why I just didn't call them chav).


Changing the subject I was reading the Telegraph (see, see i am posh!) and there was an article about the Compact Group. It originated in San Francisco and the idea is to buy only things you need. If possible buy things second hand or preferably recycle/lend /borrow. A couple of years ago when Steve and I were really skint we did cut down on shopping. We had no choice. We started using the Library more, shopping at Lidl and Aldi. I stopped going to the shops at the weekend as something to do. We're better off now but we have kept those habits. Going to the library has saved me a fortune and i don't miss Saturday shopping. I think the Compact group is a good idea.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Sorry for not noticing the lladro figures Gina - I have a block when it comes to them... my mum has got a bit of a collection, and if I ever commented to her about hers, I'd then get a tour of her paper weights!!!! Not pleasant memories!

Maybe subconciously I'm worried if I mention yours, I might get a tour of your le creuset collection ;o)

Gina said...

paper weights - are you saying that LLadro figurines are paperweights?!!

And you ASKED to see my le Creseut collection -i was a bit worried that you might try and pinch one ;)

Ruthie said...

no, meant I'd get the WHOLE detailed history of each Lladro figurine, and then she'd move on (without taking a breath) to the detailed history of her "special" paperweights!!!! Can't remember what make they are, but think they're the Lladro equivalents!

And you know I'm dead jealous of your Le creseut collection!