20 May, 2007

Horse burger and chips please.

Watched the F Word this morning. Janet Street Porter was promoting horse meat - it is healthy, low fat, tastes like beef and is free range. Janet went to a farm in France and chose her horse. She said that she found this very difficult. Now although I don't eat meat I do admire people that do but also face the consequences. That is for me to eat this , this animal/fish has to die. If you have to eat meat the least you can do is make sure that the animal that has been reared for food as had a pleasant life and death. I think that is the JSP /Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall school of thought. I used to advocate not eating as much meat but paying more and ensuring it was ethical. However when I realised I couldn't kill an animal to eat it-nothing could ever taste that good that it warrants me killing it - I realised I couldn't eat meat any more. And lets get one thing straight - I don't not eat meat because I don't like the taste. (Just as few people give up smoking because they don't like smoking.)I'm not a vegetarian in a bid to lose weight either. I'm not a vegetarian because Steve is. I'm a veggie because it makes me feel better about myself.
However being a veggie is something else to feel guilty about, if I stood my ideals I should be vegan. I do admire vegans - their resolve and discipline is awesome.Also Tommy is not a veggie dog - I buy dog food which is (probably) made up of poor animals who had cramped nasty lives and horrendous deaths. If I was a good person I would buy expensive free range meat and cook it for him. Tom would love that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered a vegetarian dog food such as -
http://www.happidog.co.uk/

Gina said...

Thanks for the link - I see that there is a shop in Wickford that sells happidog - we'll probably get some Saturday.

Ruthie said...

I really liked meat before I went veggie too! And even though I've been one for about 17 years, I still really love the smell of bacon! It doesn't bother me that other people eat meat, and I'll even cook it for them if they don't mind chancing the fact that they might get food poisoning (I've forgotten how to tell if meat is cooked)! I just wish that all animals had a happy life and humane quick death, rather than endure some of the babaric practises that go on!

I think we're quite lucky that we have the life where we can make these sort of choices... like they say, principals go out the window when you're hungry!

x

Gina said...

I'm really worried about these poor Principals being thrown out of the window when people go hungry.

Or did you mean principles ;0)

Ruthie said...

I think I mean that I should have taken more notice of my teachers when they told me to leave time to read through what I'd written, before submitting it.

OKAY, my name is Roofie and I am a crap speller at times... now I have faced this truth, it is the first step on the road to my recovery...

x