11 April, 2007

But I'm Innocent!

I have been mildly worried over the last few days. Last Thursday I went to the library, I was really pleased because the Library Fairy was there. I got out loads of books. You can imagine my horror when the Librarian said that according to their records I had an overdue book. An overdue book! one of things that I am secretly proud of is that my library books are never overdue. I have an unblemished record. That must be some mistake, the book in question -Mother Of God by David Ambrose (v.good by the way, David Ambrose books always have a terrific twist) I had taken back weeks before. The Librarian was very kind, told me not too worry. She would let me check out my pile of books and look in to it for me. She was sure it was a mistake. She told me several times not to worry. I think I must have looked very worried.

Then when I got home last night there was an automated ansaphone message from the library. Stating that I had a book over due. I knew I had been right to worry. Kind Librarian lady had fobbed me off. This morning I rang the library and explained what had happened. I was going to pop in lunchtime but I was too worried to wait. The switchboard lady said that I had dispute marker on my account, but not to worry (my voice must have sounded worried)she would get some one to call me. Now I need to make something clear - it is not the money. Once Tommy ate one of my library books I bought a copy and explained to the Librarian what had happened. She was a bit taken aback and said if my dog ate any more books just tell them because I would be charged a cheaper price than a book shop price. No what worried me was that my unblemished record would be blemished. Worse still they might think I was lying. That was what bothered me.
The lady rang back, said that there has been a mistake, the book was removed from my record, and not to worry.
And I replied, 'Oh I wasn't worried...'

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Aw poor youuuuuu - the shame of it!!!! *shudder* Once that blemish is there....

Still, silly lady at the library getting it wrong!!!

Paula said...

Hi Gina, I am the opposite of you, you will be appalled to know and had £16 in fines from the library - including a £8.99 charge, for a book I had dropped in my bath (The Reading Club, I think).....Ohhh the shame, I got so told off in there that I came out and actually cried...what an idiot.