17 February, 2007

Saturday

I've been reading a book called In Fidelity by M J Rose. I suppose it is a crime book because there is a murder, but the book questions if a partner is unfaithful does that necessarily mean the end of the relationship. A relationship is more than sex- is it worse if your partner confides in some one other than you ? At the end of the book the wife tries again with the unfaithful husband. It was just sex, she reasons, her and her husband have a much deeper connection.
I think that is all very well in theory but I don't think affairs are really about the sex. I think it is the excitement of having to keep it all a secret. The buzz of having someone pay attention to you, giving you compliments, feeling special. Some people even tell their friends what they are up to. They live in their own soap opera where they have the starring role. Its like when I hear people say "We just love each other too much" WTF does that mean? I think that just means they like make up sex.
I don't believe that there is the perfect soul mate. I believe to make a go of a relationship both of you have to want to make it work. There is a lot of compromise and a lot of communication. Just because you love someone doesn't make them or you a mind reader.

No comments: