08 February, 2007

Reader Perception

My Mum thinks that the story I managed to in Hackerwriters is about her. Never mind that the story is about a the death of a mother and she is very much alive. When I wrote it I thought I had created a character. I thought it was a generic close mother/daughter relationship. However seeing as Mum refers to it as the story you wrote about me , perhaps I need to have a rethink. If Mum reads the story as sees it as about herself (when that wasn't my intention) does that mean she is right? When I was doing the Ou course someone berated the tutor for not "getting" her story. At the time I smirked and thought the writer can't blame the reader. I might write what I think I'm writing , but the reader reads what is there. So hands up, on a subconscious level I've written a story about my Mum dying. I'm lucky that Mum is thrilled about my description of her.

I'm the only one that thinks visitors (however welcome) make the house messy? Don't get paranoid Ruth, I'm referring to visitors not visitor. You have to rearrange the seating, get out extra coasters and find somewhere to put their coats. Sometimes they don't even put the loo seat down! I enjoy the company but I'm itching to get things straight after they have gone. I wish I could be like Angela, she is genuinely hospitable and social. I just have to work at it a bit more. So if you do get invited over I must really like you!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Thinking now about your reader - writer relationship musings. It reminds me of similar thought I have about giving presents.

"I know what I have given you...
But I do not know what you have received"

So, anyway, when do we get to read your story!! Look forward to it xx

Gina said...

Its called an Evening Out and you can read it here:

http://www.hackwriters.com/Dreamscapes2.htm