05 June, 2007

The Road where I live

I was interested to read Hannah's comments on her blog , about being unhappy where she lived. Steve and my first home was a one bedroom flat. Despite the lack of space we were very happy there ...until we had a drug dealer and his prostitute girlfriend move in downstairs. It is horrible feeling unsafe in your own home. We were lucky that we were renting so didn't have to worry about selling it. We bought our house in 2000, back when houses were affordable. We are very lucky that all our neighbours are , well neighbourly. I'd feel comfortable knocking on their door if I needed anything. I don't take this for granted though, after my experience in the flat I am only too well aware it only takes one bad apple...
I don't think neighbourliness (is that a word?) is about money. I have friends that live in a very desirable road and her neighbours don't even acknowledge her. Then again my parents live in Thorpe Bay which has a reputation for being stuck up, but Mum and Dad feel very at home there.
My heart goes out to Hannah , stuck some where she hates. I think it is everyone's worst nightmare.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina!
Thanks for your concern.
I don't really feel unsafe here and it's not a bad area. I am just depressed. The people next door shout and swear at each other and those below aren't considerate where noise is concerned. That is combined by the fact that we live in a small flat and I work at home a lot. If I worked away I'm sure I wouldn't feel so down! Where we used to live our neighbours were lovely and I didn't feel out of place.

It does make me feel excited about the future because I know we weren't be here long, it's just our current circumstances!
xxx

Ruthie said...

....and lets face it, your neighbours must love the Robbos compared to what the previous occupants were like!!!!

No doubt they held a street party when you moved in

;o)