23 June, 2007

Books and Stuff

Got my Amazon delivery of my G A McKevatt books today. Brilliant! Still I've got my pile of library J D Robbs to get through first. The librarian actually commented on how many I'd checked out (7). I've read 3, 4 more to go. I'm really enjoying them but I don't know if they are re-readable. I really enjoyed Heroes but I don't know if I could sit through it again. I think some stuff you watch/read to find out what happens. You really enjoy it, but at the end its done. Then there is the stuff you can re-read and re- watch (not a word I think, but will do for my purposes)again and again. Buffy, Angel and Doctor Who being prime examples. It doesn't matter that you know the ending, you just enjoy being in their little world. I know what happens in The Shining - but I love that book, and am gripped every time I read it; although I don't think I'll re-read The Stand. I suppose it is the difference between plot driven and character driven stories.
I know lets do a list!

One Night Stands:
The Stand- Stephen King
Shawshank Redemption(really loved that film but it was so emotionally draining I couldn't watch it again)
Polo- Jilly Cooper
The Water's Lovely - Ruth Rendell
Heroes
4400


Enduring Love:
Buffy
Angel
Rosemary and Thyme (these are my favourite comfort watch at the moment)
The Shining - Stephen King
Rivals -Jilly Cooper
Any Agatha Raisin book - M C Beaton
High Fidelity (the film not the book. Although I liked the book)
Matrix

and things I'd thought I'd like but hated:
Wicked - Jilly Cooper (Jilly - I couldn't even finish it.)
Supernatural
Seven (didn't stay till the end it was so rubbish.)
Ghost Country - Sara Paretsky

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Dear Mrs Robbo

Perhaps you would care to explain why you have chosen to omit Firefly and Serenity from your Enduring Love lists?!?!?!

Bah! And you call yourself a fan?

Shame on you!

Unknown said...

Shawshank Redemption - best film ever!
~cuttsy~

Gina said...

Ruthie - you're right I shpud have just said Joss Wheedon's stuff.

Cuttsy - I agree that Shawshank is a brilliant film but I 've never wanted to watch it again. How many times have you seen it?