16 June, 2007

Ring and things

One of my hobbies is staring at Jeweller's Windows. They don't seem to mind.Last year I was looking in a shop window and saw this fabulous wedding ring. It was quite wide, gold with a triangle pattern. I'm not describing it very well but I really liked it. My own wedding ring is a gold flat band with five (tiny)diamonds. I do really like it but I've worn it every day for the past 8 years. I fancy a change. Honestly when I mentioned it to Steve he acted like I wanted to change husbands, the fuss he made. He kept saying 'But it is your wedding ring, your WEDDING ring. You're winding me up - right?'
So to wind him up I suggested that on our 10th wedding anniversary we should renew our vows and we could exchange new rings then. How Steve laughed. To be honest if it bothers him that much I won't get another one. I see it just as a ring rather than a symbol of marriage. Steve says I'm mad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, gina, gina
What you prapose is a heinus crime.
If you realy feel that a weeding ring could do with up dating then there is no reason that the same ring could not be melted down and remoddled. But to buy a new one is just a tad odd.
The sentament is all in the other ring!
If you feel you need to replace the "tiny" dimonds then i am sure the good Mr Robbo wouldnt object too much. But i am with him all the way on this one :o)

Gina said...

Oh dear. Perhaps I should have used the word 'discreet' instead of tiny. men don't seem to like the word tiny for some reason.

But you see I don't feel the sentiment is all the ring. If Steve fancied a change ( for example a ring with a radio in it) I wouldn't mind.

Victor - haven't you realised that I am a tad odd? ;')

Anonymous said...

The circumlocution of the description is immaterial. The fact remains that the ring isn't just another piece of jewellery - It's a symbol for the partnership itself, a fact which is usually made clear during the marriage ceremony where it would have played a significant role. It is impossible to legitimately replace it. Regardless of how aesthetically pleasing the substitute would be, it can never have the same history or be invested with the same sentiment as the original. Please be more heedful of Mr Robbo's feelings and abandon this plan.

Gina said...

Don't worry Magnus, I'm always heedful of Mr R's feelings and won't be persuing it any further.