01 March, 2009

Treasures or clutter?

I think that people can be divided into people that like their house strewed with trinkets, ornaments, bits and pieces; and those that regard such stuff as dust collectors. I suppose that they are right- they can be a bind to dust and I'm always scared when I clean my Nao dancers. Steve keeps well away from "my ladies" and I don't blame him. Actually Nao is my guilty pleasure, I have loved those figurines since Mum bought one from Queens Street market. It was of 2 girls, and Mum had got them cheap as one poor girl's head had broken off. Dad glued it back on. I can't remember how old I was but I must have been younger than 10, because it was in the 70's. I thought it was the most beautiful thing. As I got older and my - shall we say - artistic taste changed - I still love Nao. I especially love the ballet dancers. Its funny really because normally twee things live me cold - Cherish Teddies, crystal ornaments. I have three Naos, a big Isadorsa Duncan like dancer (v.scary cleaning the huge scarf she is twirling), a reclining ballet dancer and a little girl pushing a barrow with a puppy in it. Steve bought me that one , I think he was getting a bit fed up of the dancers.
Aside from the Nao stuff, the house is strewn with photo frames, candle holders, paintings and house plants. There are greyhound figures (suppose to be Tommy and Penny) , my bridal crown is on display, various little boxes that I don't keep anything in, a mother child bronze, a Buddha, the wedding cake decoration held in a sheer box, champagne corks with 50p pieces stuck in them(isn't that supposed to be lucky?), a wooden bowl holding various stones, a blue decorative bowl, a big green glass bowl on the table, an empty champagne bottle Steve won (well it was full when he won it). A stack of decorative boxes I bought in Bali, a fancy box holding chop sticks that has a carved frog and gekko on it (again from Bali). I don't like over head lights, so I have three Tiffany lamps in the living room and side table lamp in our bedroom. And I'm not going to bother to mention the books and DVDs we've got. Or the cushions and throws.
That is quite a lot of stuff isn't it?

No comments: