08 January, 2007

Guilt

I'm fed up. I'm fed up women's magazines and television programmes designed to make you feel guilty. For instance all women feel guilty to one degree or another about what/how much they eat. It doesn't matter what size these women are. Now there are all these diet programmes that entail a radical life change (Chinese takeaways and lagers to mungo beans and warm water - how are they going to maintain that?) Then there are the debt programmes where a posh city bird makes a spendaholic live on £5 a day and sell all their stuff. or Pay your mortgage off in 2 years - when it is a luxury to have a mortgage these days under £100,000 - most people I know are still saving up for the deposit. Then while we're worrying that we're fat and in debt we can watch 'How clean is your house' and worry that we live in squalor. I know we don't have to watch these programmes but now they seemed to have spilled into magazines. I used to really like Goodhousekeeping. I liked reading articles about the best vacuum to buy, recipes that I never actually followed and life affirming stories about middle aged ladies hiking across the Himalayas. I could pretend for a little while I was middle class.Now it is full of scary articles about pensions short falls and how one glass of wine can increase your chances of getting breast cancer. And I really hate those - what is the best age to have a baby- articles. And before you say I don't have to buy it , Idon't - it was a subscription present.

No comments: