19 January, 2007

Bullying

I just had to write something about Big Brother. I'm sick of people saying it is not racism, it is bullying. As if that makes it better. Or if they say its not racism the bullies are just jealous. As if that excuses it. If it feels like racism to the person being victimised it is racism.It doesn't matter if the perpetrator didn't intend it that way-it is how it is perceived. I'm suspicious of the way Shilpa is now stating that she knows it is not racism when in one unguarded moment she asked Jermaine : Is it because I am Indian? I think the producers have had a word with her. I've also had enough of the 'Jade is mixed raced so she can't be racist' defense - are they saying only white people or "pure"race people can be racist? It reminds of that awful - but some of my best friends are black/gay/ disabled- arguement.

No comments: