29 October, 2006

Books

I have started reading Barbara Nadel's Inspector Ikmen series. I had heard of Barabra Nadel as she lives in Essex, there was a profile of her in a local paper. She writes police procedurals set in Turkey. That didn't appeal to me but I saw one of her books in the library and decided to give it a go. thats why I love libraries so much - I tend to be much more adventurous in my reading when its free. that's how I discovered authors like Charlaine Harris, M C Beaton - you don't tend to find their books in local shops. Anyhow - i loved her book -Balthazzer's Daughter ( i know i've spelt that wrong) and I have just finished Harem. I found I couldn't put the books down. the characters are vivid, intersting and funny. i have never been to Turkey but she really made the place come alive for me. She is a very good, original writer.
On Friday Steve and I went to the Riga to see a REM tribute band called Stipe. they were brilliant! Steve even got up and danced!!! both decided to make an effort to see more local live music.

No comments: