30 August, 2009

Dad

I have just finished Tess Gerritsen's Keeping the Dead. In American it is called The Keepsake, which I think its a matter name for the book and in keeping with the series - The Apprentice, The Sinner etc. British people know what Keepsake means don't they? I enjoyed it - another page turner. There was a part in it that got me thinking. I don't want to spoil it for you but a mother tells her daughter that the real definition of nuclear family are the mother and child. Fathers come and go, but the mother stays. Now there is a good reason where the character says this, but it got me thinking about my Dad. When I was growing up I didn't see much of him, because he was ALWAYS working. That man slogged his guts out making sure that his family had a good lifestyle. Mum worked hard too, but Dad put in the hours. I think he worried a lot about making enough money. As a result when he was home he was dog tired and short fused. We all had to tip toe around him. Thinking back, Dad's not stupid he must have picked up on this, and I think it must have got to him. He took early retirement and I think it was the best thing he ever done. Dad is much more chilled and I feel like I know him. We chat on the phone and go to see Agatha Christie plays together. When I see him with his grandchildren it makes me sad that he couldn't have that easy going intimacy with his children. Perhaps it is a generation thing, as the Little Dudes have a relaxed relationship with their Dad.
Amy way Dad, I appreciate all what you have done for me. I'm glad to be your daughter. Even if you do go on about cricket. A lot.

No comments: