02 May, 2009

What we did

Steve and I have had a busy few days. We went to see The Boxer Rebellion at La Scala Thursday night. La Scala is at Kings Cross, so rather than have to trog all the way home late at nigh we booked into a local Travelodge and had Friday off work.
The gig was heaving (at sometimes with the moshing - literally!) and I really enjoyed myself. it was nice just having a ten minute walk back to the hotel , rather than having to worry about tubes and trains. The next day we went to the National Portrait gallery. It has really changed - but then I don't think I have been there for about 20 years. How time flies. I've been reading a lot of Tudor history lately and it felt special to be able to look at the paintings that are always reproduced in the books. You know like the famous Anne Boleyn painting. There was also a cartoon of the famous Holbein of Henry the eighth. Something I found interesting was a lithograph of Anne Boleyn that referred to her has Elizabeth the first's mother. It gave her date of death but didn't mention that she was executed. I was surprised to see that as I had always imagined that Anne was not mentioned during Elizabeth's reign - as Elizabeth's parentage was bit of a touchy subject.

No comments: