01 October, 2008

Soul Mates?

Do you believe in soul mates, that there is some one out there for everyone that is perfect for them? That is just a matter of finding them?
I've thought about this a lot, partly because people have said "Oh you and  Steve are soul mates" and I've always thought, no it isn't as easy as that. I've had serious relationships before Steve that crashed and burned, but at the time I thought they were"the one". Now I think "Oh Gina what were you thinking!"
 I think, no I know, that you BOTH have to work at relationship, but there has to be something there  to work on.  And feelings do change. I think that a good relationship  is a magical mixture of luck and work.
Now would do I mean by working on a relationship. These are a few things:
Not blaming them for your inadequacies.
Not expecting them to change, but don't try to stop them changing
Treating them with kindness.
Counting to ten, or ten thousand
Remember you might not have meant what you said in anger..but too late it has been said.
Learning to forgive them
Making time for fun- which funnily enough can be difficult.
Respecting their boundaries.
Allowing yourself to be open with them.

Right, I'll get off my soap box now.




No comments: