31 October, 2009

Halloween

I've got a ton of sweets in a orange plastic half pumpkin, so I'm ready for the trick'n treaters. I like the little kids coming round , all dressed up. I don't want any scary big kids coming round though.. fingers crossed.
As a grown up things that scare me ( in no particular order):
interest rates going up.
expensive car repairs.
the boiler breaking
lack of money.
losing my job.
terminal illness.
loved ones dying.
getting murdered.
cooking dinner and poisoning everyone by accident.

As a child:
Using the stairs at night.

When we lived in East Ham ( we moved when I was 11) we lived in an Edwardian house with a cellar. I remember the house as being quite creaky and we used to get mice. If my Mum reads this, she will probably tut and say we had mice only twice in the 10 years we lived there. But I'm remembering this as a little kid. There was one loo in the house , and that was upstairs. Walking up the stairs wasn't a problem. But going down the stairs....I could feel the eyes of evil staring at my back. I NEVER looked round, I'm not stupid, you never look round. I tore down the stairs, jumping the last 3 or 4 (no wonder the house creaked) and rush in to the living room. Then I'd be ok, as obviously once you were in the living room you were safe.

Once Mum and Dad went to bed, downstairs was very unsafe. I remember waking up one night very thirsty, but there was no way on earth I was going downstairs for a drink.* I couldn't get a drink from the bathroom tap, as Dad drilled in to me that you can't drink the upstairs water. Is that really true? Is bathroom cold tap water unsafe to drink?Even today I never use the bathroom sink tap for a drink of water.

* Waking up my parents wasn't an option. You wanna see something truly scary - wake those two up.

No comments: