21 November, 2008

Jewellery

 I was reading AOJ  's blog about precious items of jewellery and it got me thinking about what item I own means the most to me. My nan left me her gold locket. I don't wear it every day (although Nanny Sarah did, and she had the clasp taken out so the that a mugger couldn't rip if off her neck. Well, she did live through 2 world wars) . The necklace has a peculiar story. dad had bought it for a girlfriend who threw it back at him when they split up. It is a very nice necklace and I think Dad must have liked her a lot, but Dad always acts like he didn't even notice girls until he met Mum, so  I don't know the story behind it.  Then he did meet my mum (only she wasn't my Mum then), and reader he tried to give her the necklace!!! how cheap is that? I'm glad to say Mum told him to shove it and buy her a brand new necklace. So dad gave the necklace to his Mum, and now it has been passed down to his daughter. Weird eh?
However the piece that means the most to me are the diamond studs Steve got me. I didn't ask for them, I know (because he told me later)  he spent ages looking for just the right pair and he got it right. I've worn them more or less every day for the last 8 years. 

No comments: