26 July, 2008

Guilty and Anxious

Over the past couple of months I have learnt something new about myself. I've always thought of myself as easy going, relaxed and a tad on the lazy side. I may have been like that once, but I'm not like that now. I'm anxious and feel guilty a lot of the time. I'll give you some examples:
Feeling guilty -the feeling that I could do more. I don't walk the dog enough, the fish tank needs cleaning, we should really sort out the hall way, I should exercise more, I eat too much, I drink too much, I spend too much money, the garden needs a clean up...oh the list goes on and on and on.
Anxious: How will I be able to afford to retire? Someone is sitting on MY seat on the train- where shall I sit now?, I'm too loud, some one might park in front of the garage, if my neighbour decides to move who will move in next door? What if Steve dies? what if he leaves me?

Now these thoughts aren't in the fore front of my brain, more like a low level buzzing. So now I'm aware of them what am I doing? Well I'm taking deep breaths and as far as I can I'm trying to live in the moment. Everything is ok now. I can't know what is going to happen, but whatever does happen I'll find a way to deal with it. I'm not perfect but so what? I do okay.

Yesterday on the train home, a commuter started chatting to me. Some one I didn't even know. This is unheard of,as a rule we all studiously ignore each other, even if we know each other all you will get is a strained "hello". We only chatted for a few minutes, but it was really nice. A bit of friendliness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do sometime feel frustration about life especially when i am getting old.But luckly we could find a way to relax because of the experience of life.

Chicken Lisa said...

I saw an article in yesterdays' paper and immediately thought of you and this post. There is a walk especially for greyhounds along the seafront on the 5/10, 2:00. I thought it would be a good way to cure two of your ‘guilt’s’ ;-). Further details from www.greyhoundwalks.co.uk

Gina said...

Thanks for that Lisa - as it isn't too early I might just make it!