08 October, 2007

My Dead Dog

Penny has been dead for 6 months and not a day goes by when I don't think about her.

It was my idea to get a second dog as I felt that Tommy was becoming the most spoilt dog in the world. Steve wasn't so keen but gradually came round to the idea. We took Tom with us to the kennels and Penny was the third dog we saw- the first 2 having growled at Tom. Penny waited until we were driving back home before her and Tom had a growl fest....
Penny's tail was always wagging and she would follow you everywhere. She'd be in front of you walking backwards,tail wagging. Penny seemed to be asking "what ya doing? Can I join in?" Penny adored Steve,she was really his dog. When Steve would come home late from a DJ stint she would run downstairs to keep him company. His wife and other dog didn't even wake up. Penny was a jumper, we would often be eye to eye. Penny had a real lust for life. She was also the most destructive dog I've ever seen when frightened. She hadn't any tolerance for storms or fireworks.
Life is much quieter with out and a lot easier. When we come home there isn't an underlying dread of what we will be coming home to. For the first time in 4 years I haven't had to hide my slippers (penny would hide my slippers. Last month I moved the spare bed and found an ancient slipper wodged underneath)She used to hide the post in her bed as well.
Although I think of her I don't feel sad as I know she had the most fantastic life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am touching by this post. I believed that she had the most fantastic life which was you gave her.