31 December, 2010

Food

I watched Toast last night. I think it was set in the late 60s and early 70s and it started to make me think about food of my childhood.
I was born in 1968, so my earliest memories are of the 70s. My memories are of toad in the hole (which I hated at the time, but now really like)liver and bacon (oh triple yuck - but even though Mum knew me and my sister hated it she would still cook it, AS IT WAS GOOD FOR YOU)roast dinners, Yorkshire puds.
When Dad was growing up there was an Italian family living near by, so he knew about pasta dishes. Although we didn't say pasta , we called it spaghetti.He showed Mum how to make spaghetti bolognase. Spaghetti, mince onions, tomato puree, crowned with a bed of peas. Reader, I loved it, it was my favourite meal ever. When I got home from Brownie pack Holiday Mum cooked it as a welcome home meal.
Mum used to bake a lot too: fairy cakes, butterfly cakes, fruit cake. Which is something I never do, bake cakes.
Living in the East end, we also used to eat cockles, winkles, jellied eels, scallops. All splashed with vinegar. If we went out to eat it would be Chinese or a Berni Inn.That would be a very special occasion though. I don't remember us having take aways, unless it was fish and chips. Mum and Dad didn't drink wine, it would be Guinness (dad) and something and slimline tonic (mum) and they would go to out to drink, they didn't drink in doors.
Mum would get a lot of her food from the market. We would walk there and back, and Mum had a push chair that she would pile the bags on. We didn't get a car until I was 13.
Mum was a lover of grapefruits and cottage cheese. THESE WERE GOOD FOR YOU AND HELPED YOU LOSE WEIGHT. We even had cottage cheese sandwiches. Soggy brown bread mess. Since I left home I don't think I've eaten a grapefruit or cottage cheese.

No comments: