04 December, 2010

Big Weddings

I was watching Sarah Beeney's Restoration Nightmare, where she restores her stately home. Actually it is a measure of how likable she is that I could watch the show -rich people's problems and all that.
At the end there is a wedding held there. The bride comes in on a horse drawn carriage, there is a Master of Ceremonies and to finish, a firework display.
Now, everyone to their own, and who am I to judge - but I hate stuff like that.
Why do I hate that wedding magazine stuff? Because it is seems the bride and groom have become characters out of a story. The bride will often say how she has dreamt about this day ever since she was a little girl, and the bloke is reduced to a walk on part. And the cost! You could put down a deposit for a house for how much these things cost.
When I was planning my wedding I bought a wedding magazine - and nearly had an asthma attack over all the little expensive stuff I *needed* to get. Stuff like favours, colour themes, table displays, hire cars ...the list went on and on.
And I can see how easy it is to be sucked in to all of that,but we need to remind ourselves it is just ONE day.
And while I'm talking about weddings, a frined is getting married and she went to a shop and a wedding dress shop and told them her budge was £1000.00. and the shop assistant got sniffy with her! WTF!

3 comments:

The Book Nut said...

What I find sad, is how you always hear the bride saying things like "I've been planning this day all my life" or "It's my wedding and I want it to be perfect". It is rare that you hear any of them say something like "I've been dreaming of marrying the perfect man all my life" or "It's our wedding and that makes it perfect"! It's always about the day with all it's stuff.

When I got married it cost us about $200 and lasted 20 minutes. We held it in a local park and it was wonderful. However, it was nothing when compared to the wonderful years of happiness that have followed!!

People need to think more of the marriage and less of the wedding!

Great post!

Gina said...

Book Nut , I totally agree with you!

Chicken Lisa said...

I didn't want a big wedding, although once my mom and partner got stuck in, it was 'quite' big, about £10,000. But it wasn't the day I'd dreampt of all my life. Any now it doesn't matter anyway...