25 August, 2008

Fish and Meat

I believe that animals have souls and feel emotions. They might not feel these emotions the way we do, just as all animals breathe but have different ways of going about it. (I'm thinking lungs and gills here).
Six years ago we bought an aquarium, some tetras and 2 cat fish. Those original tetras have long since died and been replaced by platys but the cat fish are still going strong. Well one of them is still going strong, the other one is dying. The other cat fish is lying near it. This has been going on all afternoon. I think the fit cat fish cares.

Talking about animals, I don't eat meat on ethical grounds, not because I don't like the taste. Saying that I haven't missed meat much (unlike fish - that is a real struggle and I have fallen off the wagon LOADS of times) but the past couple of weeks I have craved meat. In particular I nice crispy chicken leg. Oh yes. then that got me thinking to a nice rare steak and onion rings. I'm not going to eat meat though as I know I'd feel terrible. Perhaps it is the meat free equivalent of a 7 year itch?

1 comment:

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Gina, I used to be vegetarian, but on the grounds that I stopped liking it rather than any ethical grounds. I found myself in a similar position and the craving for meat was so strong, I caved in. It's your body's way of telling you it needs something that the meat can give you. So if you don't want to start eating it again, maybe you need a supplement of some sort?