24 March, 2011

Times change

Flicking through the channels I caught thirtysomething. I love that show! It was first aired in the late 80s. In those days I was young and had a social life of sorts, so I didn't catch every episode. back then we could video stuff but some one had to be there to press the record button, and it was all a bit of a faff. Then I was in Australia in the early 90s, I saw a few episodes.
What stuck me as I watched it was - no one has a home PC, there are scenes of Hope typing on a typewriter. There is a scene where Elliott uses a public phone box. the houses seem huge to me still, but now I noticed how cluttered they are. Something else I didn't notice before was how Michael and Hope's house needs work done to it. And the dangling earrings the women wear!

2 comments:

The Book Nut said...

Isn't it amazing how we see different things now in shows we watched in the past? My wife and I were just talking about that same thing. I don't know how many shows I loved as a kid that when I watch them now I wonder what in the world made me think they were so great!

But like you said, there are little things too. The one show we are watching now is one we watched about ten years ago. Now we are noticing that there is a strong flirtation between a couple of the characters that we had totally missed the first time! My wife commented at how obvious it is and how did we miss it before? I guess we're just older and wiser, right? :)

Gina said...

definitely older and wiser. As you you get older you start sympathising with different characters. How funny that you and Mrs Book Nut had been talking about the same thing- small world!