20 March, 2011

Book Festival

March is Southend Book Festival month. I have been going to the author events for the past few years. It is held at the library and each event costs about a fiver. At the evening events they serve wines and canapes and at the afternoon events, tea and cake.Yesterday me and Mum went to see Sara Paretsky. I have been reading the VI Warshawski books since the 80s, and she is part of the select group that I would pay out for the hardback for. Of course now I got my kindle, I suppose that means I would buy her books just as soon as I could. Sara was funny, bright and affectionately took the pee out of the crime genre. She was also very elegant, she had these lovely gold drop earrings and Mum liked her jacket.
It was a shame it was so poorly attended, I'd say there was about 50 people there, if that. I don't know if this was because it was on a Saturday afternoon. On Wednesday evening we went to see Barbara Erksine and that was packed.
I love the Book Festival and I hope that it keeps going and will not be affected by the local government cuts.

No comments: