26 January, 2011

What's in a name?

I like reading Eastside Bride's blog and there was an entry about taking your husband's last name.
I changed my name when I got married. True, I had quite an cringey (character building, my dad calls it) surname but even if I had a nice bland name I would have changed it. Why? The same reason I wear a wedding ring. Its traditional If I didn't want to change my name, wear a wedding ring I wouldn't have got married. I would have have been happy just living with him.
Also as the years tick but, it is nice having the same name. I feel it bonds us, a declaration that we are together. It may be because we haven't got children that I feel this way.
As from a feminist point of view, well my maiden name was my Dad's name. I have just traded one man's name for another. If I wanted to be feminist about surnames I'd call myself Gina Barbarasdaughter.

2 comments:

The Book Nut said...

Like you, my wife wanted to take my name for all the normal reasons you mentioned, but it didn't hurt that her father was a complete jerk and had a pretty bad reputation attached to his name!

We have known other women who didn't want to "give up their identity and individuality" so they either kept their maiden name or used both. Personally, I agree with you, if you are going to marry someone, you should be willing to do all of that kind of thing. It is tradition but more than that, it is a further declaration of love. I think it also signifies the fact that you, as a lady are placing yourself under your husband's care and protection.

I suppose for some of these guys out there who don't take care of their families and the wife is the provider, the guy should take the woman's name! :)

Gina said...

Hello Book nut,
Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose my point is that all surnames are men's names.