05 September, 2010

When white goods go bad

I have had quite a busy time and there is a lot of stuff that is blog worthy. But that has been over shadowed by my washing machine scaring the ba jaysus out of me.
We've had the thing for at least 8 years. Steve thinks we had it at the flat, but I'm pretty sure we bought it when we were living here. Any how I put a small load on this morning ( I like to start the week with an empty washing basket) and then there was a big BANG and it died. Steve changed the fuse in the plug, but it was still dead. Steve then went off to do his radio stuff and I took the dog for a walk.
When I got back I could smell burning rubber. Going in to the kitchen, smoke was billowing out of the washing machine.
Now , this is when I surprised myself. I never think of myself as a practical person. But I ran (ran!) the under stairs cupboard to switch the mains off. After opening the windows, I then tried to take the plug out of the washing machine (which is on the side of the machine). To do this you have to move the washing machine to the right. But it was burny hot to the touch! Undeterred I got my trusty oven gloves and wrestled with the fecking thing (as I was now beginning to think of it) and took the plug out.
I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had got home when I did.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Holy crap! Glad you and everything is OK, but washing machines are the devil!! I had one do the very same things a few years back - an Ariston - and they were complete and utter GITS trying to get someone out to look at it, despite still being under warrenty... I've taken to renting now, and while I might pay a little more than I might otherwise pay, I know that when it goes plooey, it'll be fixed or replaced.

Again, glad you got it when you did. Might be worth having your circuit breaker checked as electrical things blowing up SHOULD trip everything out...

-Dan

Gina said...

Its ok Dan, the bang did trip everything out.
Got our new washing machine today, wish me luck!