19 April, 2010

Maternal

As I don't have children my maternal feelings get directed elsewhere - the dog, my nephews and, I know this may sound daft, my house plants. Sometimes it goes a bit haywire...
Sitting in the canteen at work I notice a young boy sitting by himself at a nearby table. I say young boy - I think he was about 15 and on work experience. He has a teenage complexion and looks too tall for his body. He has a Tupperware container with his sandwiches, a bag of crisps and is clutching in one hand a bottle of Dr Pepper. He caught my eye as he is twisting round, looking around. I think he is looking for some one. I start to worry for him, I hope they turn up. I am really trying not to stare, as that is all he needs, being bogged at by some middle aged woman. I can't concentrate on my book. After a few minutes , some ladies join him with their lunches. Ah, the people he is looking for. I still can't settle. He seems very shy and is eating his sandwich awkwardly(don't stare Gina!don't stare!)Towards the end of lunch he is more relaxed and laughing with them. THANK THE LORD!! I, on the other hand am a mess , and go back to work drained.
So why did it affect me so? I think it made me reqalise it won't be too many years before the Little Dudes are doing their work experience and I hope people are kind to them.

No comments: