03 July, 2009

Freaky Friday

On the train home tonight(well this afternoon really - I got the 16:45) some "rowdies" got on. They were singing, swearing - even dancing at some points. They were young lads - about 14? 15? And the rest of the carriage completely ignored them. It was like we were shunning them. People talked in their mobiles, gazed out of the windows, read their papers. We all acted as if they weren't there.
I, the other hand, have most definitely not been shunned. I've spoken before about how commuters ignore each other. Well, when I got on the train this morning, a fellow passenger remarked ot me about the weather. The man that always sits beside me said "morning". I almost looked around to see who he was talking to - he has never eve n made eye contact before. The bloke who let me get off the trains said "you're welcome" when I thanked him. ( I always thank people but this is the first response I've had). Lastly in the lift at work (no one ever talks in the lift. I think it might be against the law) the sole other occupant started chatting. Weird!

No comments: